LENASIA MUSLIM ASSOCIATION – WELFARE
Lenasia Muslim Association (LMA) was founded in 1964 to primarily cater for Islamic education in Lenasia, Lenasia South, Eldorado Park and Zakkariya Park and basic welfare for the less fortunate in Lenasia. Needy clients from Lenasia are either referred to LMA or make personal applications. Home visits are conducted to assess need and perform careful screening before assistance is granted. Collaboration with other welfare organizations occurs to minimize duplication of services.
The needy in our community are assisted through various initiatives:
- Monthly welfare support in the form of grocery and meat vouchers to +/- 120 indigent families. These vouchers are redeemed at established stores in Lenasia
- Ongoing distribution of goods such as groceries, clothing, shoe, stationery, female hygiene products etc. received through donations
- Encouraging entrepreneurial and self-sufficiency skills amongst the indigent by supporting the start of small business initiatives where possible
- Providing uniforms and stationery to needy children at the beginning of each year
- Distribution of winter packs consisting of basic medicines, blankets and heaters for the winter season. Mask and sanitizer were provided during the Covid-19 pandemic
The Lenasia Muslim Association has in the past partnered with business on home improvement projects. The home improvement project below in Lehae is one such example. Following careful assessment of living conditions, essential renovations were made to the kitchen, bathroom and exterior of the house
These initiatives would not be possible without the generosity of our community. LMA is grateful for this support and may this partnership prosper to ensure that we can continue to improve the lives of the less fortunate amongst us.